Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

General :
Anybody else living in a gilded cage?

Topic is Sleeping.

Superesse (original poster member #60731) posted at 5:00 PM on Monday, November 27th, 2023

Long ago I heard the expression "living inside a gilded cage." Can't recall who first coined the term (pun intended!)

Who else here has come to the conclusion that their life is being spent in a Gilded Cage? Share your stories please. Maybe we can see the fallacy of our decision process, or maybe we might find a bit of consolation that we made the right decision to stick with our wrecked marriage after infidelity.

Thanks in advance.

posts: 2128   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8816401

WhoTheBleep ( member #49504) posted at 6:23 PM on Monday, November 27th, 2023

Are you referring to staying in a marriage for financial reasons? To maintain a certain lifestyle? I’m interpreting the term the way you are using to mean just that— a fancy expensive prison, but a prison nonetheless. Financially, it would have been a lot more comfortable for me to stay in my marriage. Psychologically, it would have destroyed me. When that reality clicked, when I pictured myself at 80 years old, looking back on my life, wishing I could do it over, that I could live authentically,… that was the moment I decided to divorce. I have never second-guessed that decision. Not once in the past 6 years.

I know you were looking for responses from those currently in that gilded cage, but I wanted to chime in, from the other side.

Picture yourself “dying in your bed, many years from now” (Braveheart quote), looking back on your life, factoring, in all of the circumstances, are you going to be glad you stayed all those years? Or are you going to wish you had made a different choice? Only you know the answer to that question.

[This message edited by WhoTheBleep at 6:28 PM, Monday, November 27th]

I believe we have two lives: the one we learn with, and the one we live with after that. --The Natural

posts: 4523   ·   registered: Sep. 6th, 2015   ·   location: USA
id 8816411

PSTI ( member #53103) posted at 7:48 PM on Monday, November 27th, 2023

It's not a cage if you can choose to leave it. You always have that choice.

You might not like what comes along with leaving it, but you don't have to stay there if you don't want to.

I would interpret the gilded cage as a very very nice prison but where you are trapped and cannot leave. You have all your creature comforts but no freedom.

In a bad marriage you still have your freedom and autonomy, you just have to be willing to exercise them.

Me: BW, my xH left me & DS after a 14 year marriage for the AP in 2014.

Happily remarried and in an open/polyamorous relationship. DH (married 5 years) & DBF (dating 4 years). Cohabitating happily all together!! <3

id 8816418

EllieKMAS ( member #68900) posted at 9:43 PM on Monday, November 27th, 2023

Kind of ironic, but that what my xwh said our entire marriage was when he was rewriting history to suit his need to boff a teenager. That I had 'put him in a gilded cage' because I expected him to be something he wasn't (grown up? responsible? capable of doing basic chores?
Who can say?). And followed that nugget of wisdom with a soliloquy about how much his 18 yo ap 'got him' and some drivel about 'twin flames' and 'soul connections'. At least I think that's what he said, tbh my eye kinda started twitching after he sounded proud of the fact that a screwed up 18 yo kid 'got him'. Dunno bout you, but as a 37 year old grown ass woman, I wouldn't be bragging about it if an 18 yo kid 'got me' that well laugh

A cage is a cage, no matter how shiny the bars. I lived a lot of my life in them, and I won't ever do so again.

"No, it's you mothafucka, here's a list of reasons why." – Iliza Schlesinger

"The love that you lost isn't worth what it cost and in time you'll be glad that it's gone." – Linkin Park

posts: 3901   ·   registered: Nov. 22nd, 2018   ·   location: Louisiana
id 8816429

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 11:18 PM on Monday, November 27th, 2023

I can understand the feeling but it is true that it is not a true cage for most of us BS. You CAN leave. There may be many very difficult things associated with that, but you do have the key. There are some— those with special needs kids, for example - who have more limited options. The issue is that our partners won’t help us leave with some of the trappings to be comfortable.

But I get the feeling. I am poorer than I was for sure, but the peace in my home, the end of walking on eggshells, those were worth the price I paid.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8816440

BrokenheartedUK ( member #43520) posted at 12:11 AM on Tuesday, November 28th, 2023

A gilded cage is still a cage.

My lifestyle has changed for sure following my divorce. But I have never, not for a minute, regretted it. You should see lawyers so you know what to expect and start to look for career changes or enhancements to cover those deficits. Staying while you have a plan for independence is much different than just sucking it up for the sake of bougie holidays is another. And don’t think for a second that you’re doing your kids any favors by staying- you’re not. The kids will absolutely pick up on tension and it’s just unrealistic to expect that you can live separate lives without them noticing. I tried to R for my kids, and ultimately I left for my kids. They were all aware of what transpired with their father and the subsequent false R. There was no juice worth that squeeze. Not financially or emotionally.

Me: BS
He cheated and then lied. Apparently cheaters lie. Huh. 13 months of false R. Divorced! 8/16 3 teenage kids
"The barn's burnt down
Now
I can see the moon"
-Mizuta Masahide

id 8816450

NoThanksForTheMemories ( member #83278) posted at 6:25 PM on Tuesday, November 28th, 2023

In a way, I am in a gilded cage. I know I could fly out, but life will be a lot harder. I became disabled during my WH's affair years, and I can't currently hold a job. Yes, he will have to pay support after 25 years, but our kid is in high school, and I don't want to move her, so our cost of living will double on his one salary, and it won't be enough to cover rent (assuming anyone will even rent to me since I have no employment).

I can risk divorce and hope I don't end up homeless with a teenager, or I can gut it out for a few years until the teen is an adult. WH is remorseful for now. There is always the glimmer of hope of a real R, though I'm not holding my breath. I have an exit plan, but it's not for another 4 years. Teen doesn't know about the affair (at least not that I'm aware of), and WH and I are not living separately. Everything looks outwardly the same.

WH had a 3 yr EA+PA. Dday1 Nov '22. Dday4 Sep '23. 30 years together. Staying for the teenager. Allowing space for R without commitment.

id 8816525
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy